Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Round Two - Day 10

A third of the way through the second month. It is starting to feel like this is my life now, rather than an experiment. The main problem I am running into is how many recipes have already assembled ingredients in them. Bacon and cheese are the main ones. For instance, we are having a dinner guest on Wednesday, and I am planning to make what looks like a fantastic recipe I found in Food and Wine magazine for pork chops with cabbage and apples. The only problem is that the cabbage is supposed to be cooked with bacon. I am curing bacon as we speak, but it won't be ready until Thursday at the earliest. I can just go without it, but I'm sure it won't be the same. I'm trying to figure out if there is a solution that will add the bacon taste without violating the rules. Perhaps I can just use some of the pork chops... ugh! This is a bummer!

Anyway, yesterday was a pretty easy day. I started off as usual with oatmeal and coffee. For lunch I finished off the Depression Gruel from Saturday and had some grapes, and a piece of bread with butter. For dinner we ate the rest of the Tabouleh from some time last week and broiled black cod with brown sugar and honey. The only thing I really made yesterday was a rather improvised cherry tart. I had a little bit of dough left over from the cherry pie, and one of my goals here is to waste a lot less food. So I rolled it out and was able to cover the bottom of a small pie tin. I also had about 3/4 of a bag of cherries left, so I added some sugar and corn starch to them, poured the mix into the pie shell and baked it for about an hour. It was kind of a sad, flat, little dessert, but it was tasty. We have a little more than half of it left, and it will serve as the pie ration for the next couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment