Monday, October 12, 2009

Family Favorite Chili

This recipe is from the "Betty Crocker Slow Cooker Cookbook". This recipe asks for canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, and beans, all of which I had on hand. However, these were the last cans of tomatoes and tomato sauce, so if I am going to make this again, I will have to can my own tomatoes, or dice and puree them myself. The beans could be purchased dry and soaked overnight.

2 lbs. Ground Beef
1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes Ingredients: Tomato Puree, Tomatoes, Salt, Basil, Citric Acid
1 can (15 0z.) tomato sauce Ingredients: Tomato Puree, Salt, Citric Acid
2 tablespoons chili powder Ingredients:Chili Pepper, Cumin, Oregano, Salt, Silicon Dioxide (added to make free flowing) and Garlic.
1.5 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 can (15 oz.) kindney or pinto beans, rinsed and drained. Ingredients: Prepared White Kidney Beans, Water, Salt and Calcium Chloride to maintain firmness.

1. Brown beef in a 12" skillet, stirring occaisionally. Drain fat when done.
2. Mix browned beef and remaining ingredients except beans in 3-6 quart slow cooker.
3. Cover and cook on low heat setting 6-8 hours (or high heat setting 3-4 hours) or until onion is tender.
4. Stir in beans. Cover and cook on high heat setting 15-20 minutes or until slightly thickened.

We served this over wedges of polenta and it was delish!

1 comment:

  1. Every time I make chili I open this post. I don't really follow a recipe, but I guess I like to have this familiar jumping-off point. We're having a blizzard today and the chili has been cooking for 5 hours so far. Delicious, thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete