Saturday, October 17, 2009

Day Seventeen

I started out today with a resolve to do better and try harder, despite being away from home. I started out well, but I found it very difficult to keep it up when I'm not in my kitchen. Also it is my eleven-year wedding anniversary, so a little celebratory rule breaking is in order.

Breakfast: Giant Red Grapes and Mini green grapes.
Jalapeno, Cheddar Biscuit from Farmer's Market. I didn't make these, but I bought them from the woman who made them from scratch, which, I think, is the next best thing.

Lunch: Tomato Salad (Red, Green and Yellow Heirloom tomatoes, Green Bell Pepper, Feta Ingredients: Pasteurized Milk, Salt, Cheese Cultures, Enzymes, Natamycin (Natural Mold Inhibitor) , Kalamata Olives Ingredients: Tree Ripened Olives, Water, Distilled and Red Wine Vinegar, Salt, Olive Oil, Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar, Salt, Pepper) The tomatoes and green pepper were from the beautiful Noe Valley Farmer's Market, and they were so flavorful and delicious. The rest of the ingredients were from my brother-in-law's kitchen.

1 Pumpkin Ale

Since we had a late dinner reservation we went to a Mexican Restaurant called Pappalote for mid-meal around 3pm. We were going to bring food back to the house, but I ended up hooking up with my friend ES there, so I had a Chili Verde Quesadilla and a Negro Modela there.

Dinner is a whole chapter of it's own. We went to a restaurant called Starberry. I highly recommend a visit if you are in the Bay Area. They use local and organic ingredients whenever possible, and everything was really delicious and reasonably priced. There were seven of us, and we ordered a bunch of stuff and shared everything. It felt like an amazing endless feast.

mini corn dogs with spicy mustard & house made ketchup
split pea soup, house smoked ham hock & grilled toast
warm olive tapenade, chili oil & grilled flat bread
marinated japanese cucumber, summer tomato, raw milk feta & black olives
local corn with mascarpone & garlic
Pizza with fresh figs, blue cheese, & wild arugula
roasted porchetta, salsa verde & salsa calabria, market greens
One and a half Dark Blonde Ales

Dessert:
We ordered one of each of the desserts here.
Secret Breakfast Ice Cream (Jim Beam & Corn Flakes)


We walked to the restaurant and planned to take a cab home, but after the delicious porchetta (a giant round of pork surrounded by about an inch of fat.) I decided walking the 20 minutes home would be a good step in preventing a heart attack.

No comments:

Post a Comment